- 1 cup mirin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sambal
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sake
- 2 bunches of green onions, white parts only, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
- Wooden skewers, soaked one hour before use
- 4 large shiitake caps
- 1 large tomatoes, cut in cubes
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 Chinese eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- Peanut Sauce, recipe follows
- 4 radicchio cups
- Somen Noodle Salad, recipe follows
- Roasted peanuts, for sprinkling
Using a food processor, combine the mirin, soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic, sambal, sweet soy sauce, sake, and green onions. Blend at high speed until the mixture achieves a smooth consistency. Divide the marinade in half and place in 2 separate pans.
Trim the chicken breast, removing all of the fat and sinew. Cut the chicken lengthwise into 4 inch strips. Stab the skewers through the chicken and soak in 1 of the pans filled with marinade for at least 2 hours.
Thread the prepared shiitake caps, tomatoes, onion, and eggplant onto a new set of skewers, and soak in the other pan of marinade. Let sit for at least 2 hours.
When other elements are ready, grill skewers over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
On a large plate, spread the Peanut Sauce to cover about 3/4 of the plate. Place a radicchio cup in the center of the plate and fill with the Somen Noodle Salad. Place 4 chicken skewers and 1 vegetable skewer on the plate and garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons green onions and peanuts.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups shallots, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sambal
Prepare a medium saucepot coated with oil over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shallots and saute until carmelized. Deglaze the pan with the fish sauce and add the coconut milk, peanut butter, sweet soy sauce, and sambal. Stir to combine and then bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a food processor, and blend until smooth.
Somen Noodle Salad:
- 3 bundles somen noodles
- 1 cup radicchio cut into thin strips
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons green onions, diced, green parts only
- 1/2 cup Peanut Sauce, recipe precedes
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for drizzling
Bring a large pot filled with salted water to a boil, add the somen noodles cook for about 2 minutes. Immediately transfer the noodles to a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the noodles and drizzle with the canola oil to prevent them from sticking.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the noodles, radicchio, carrots, 2 tablespoons of green onions, peanut sauce, sweet soy sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well to coat the noodles. Place in the refrigerator until ready for use.
Beverage suggestion: Thai style beers like Singha and Limonade from France (like sprite) to make shandies/panaches.