Chicken and Vegetable Stew in Peanut Butter Tomato Sauce: Mafe
- 1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut in eighths
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 pound potato (1 large one)
- 1 small cabbage, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (or 6 Brussels sprouts)
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or 6 patty pans, cut in half)
- 3 tablespoons Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or "tigadege" (roasted peanut paste)
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, whole, optional
- Steamed white rice, for serving
In a large pot, heat oil until hot and brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove chicken temporarily.
In the same frying pan, add the onions and stir until soft and slightly brown. Add the tomato paste and salt, and stir well.
Add all the prepared vegetables and fish sauce to the pot. Return the chicken to the pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, stir, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Check the vegetables to avoid overcooking, removing them in a bowl as they are done.
When all the vegetables are cooked and removed from the stew, add the peanut butter or "tigadege", 1 tablespoon at a time to make sure it is well dissolved in the broth. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper, if using and simmer until broth thickens, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Return all the vegetables to the pot and simmer 5 minutes more. Serve over white rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chicken Wings in Peanut Sauce, Uova in Brodetto: Eggs in Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Sausage Balls, Tomato-Basil Sauce, Cacio e Pepe Potatoes and Roast Broccolini, Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Easy Snack, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes, Holiday Appetizer Recipes