- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Hekka Marinade, recipe follows
- 1 can (2 1/2 cups) sliced bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- 10 green onions (scallions), cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 onion, cut into half-moon slices
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, julienned
- 1/2 pound watercress, chopped into 1-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 finger fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
- Sake Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 bundle (2 ounces) bean thread noodles, cooked and cut into 1-inch lengths
Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes in the Hekka Marinade. Meanwhile, mix the bamboo shoots, onions, carrot, mushrooms, celery, and watercress, and set aside.
Brown the chicken in 3 tablespoons oil to which you have added crushed ginger. Add all the vegetables and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the sake sauce and bean threads and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes. Serve at once.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
Dissolve the cornstarch in the soy sauce and mix with the remaining ingredients.
Blend all ingredients.