Chicken Liver and Shiitake Custard with Edamame Sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh chicken livers
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped, Sauteed shiitake mushrooms (sauteed with 1 teaspoon minced shallots)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 cup edamames
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- EDAMAME SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium canned
- 1 cup edamames
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold and in pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Set up a steamer. Place livers and eggs in a food processor. Mix and add the cream while motor is running. Season. Pour mix into a large mixing bowl. Fold in mushrooms, chives, edamames and truffle oil. Cook a little bit in the microwave to check seasoning. Ladle mix into rice bowls. Place in the steamer for 25-30 minutes or until custards are set.EDAMAME SAUCE:
In a hot sauce pan, coat with oil and soften onions and garlic, about 3 minutes. Season. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. The stock should taste salty, like pasta blanching water. Add the edamames and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Do not over cook for they will darken. Check often. During the last minute, add the spinach. Immediately transfer to a blender and blend at high speed. Add the butter, blend and check for seasoning. Mix in the juice and reserve hot.
PLATING Place bowl on doiled plate. Ladle sauce on top of hot flan to completely cover. Drizzle with a little truffle oil.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.