Chicken Paillard with Tri-Olive Tapanade, Roast Sage Yams and Sauteed Garlic Spinach
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and rough chopped
- 1/4 cup lucques olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup nicoise olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1 small anchovy, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 11 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet yam, orange flesh preferred, peeled and small diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 medium sage leaves, finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, skin removed
- 3 cups packed baby spinach, triple washed and dried
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium sized bowl combine the 3 varieties of olives (other olives may be substituted) in addition to the capers, anchovy, zest, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon garlic, and 6 tablespoons olive oil. Using a spoon, fold the ingredients together, adding pepper, to taste. Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
In a medium sized bowl combine the yam, butter, sugar, and sage leaves, mixing with a spoon. Spread evenly onto a small sheet pan and bake until lightly caramelized, 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside keeping warm.
Using 2 pieces of plastic wrap, sandwich 1 breast at a time and pound lightly with a mallet or meat tenderizer evenly until 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken breast, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil over each. Season lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. In a large saute pan, over high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot add chicken breasts, 1 at a time, allowing them to caramelize before flipping. Cook until liquid runs clear from the breast, approximately 2 minutes per side being careful not to over cook. Repeat with remaining breasts, set aside keeping warm. Brush breasts with remaining lemon juice.
In a large saute pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot add the remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, 10 seconds. Add spinach and toss to distribute garlic. Season lightly. When just wilted remove from the pan and set aside.
Plate 1 chicken breast, then top with spinach and the olive mixture. Serve with yams.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Nathan Lyon