Chicken Roasted with Potatoes, Shallots, and Olives
- 12 large shallots blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes, peel and halved lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon crumbled
- 8 small Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and halved or, if large, quartered
- 1/4 cup cracked green olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 whole 3 pound chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl toss together the shallots, the garlic, the chopped oregano, the potatoes, the olives and 2 tablespoons of the oil and salt and pepper to taste. Rub the chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Put the chicken in a roasting pan surround the potatoes and olives and place in the upper third of a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Periodically basting and turning the vegetables Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F., and roast the chicken and vegetables for 15 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Transfer the chicken and the vegetables with a slotted spoon to a heated platter, skim fat from the pan and deglaze with wine, reduce 1 minute then add the broth. into the skillet, scraping up the brown bits, and boil the mixture for 1 minute. Strain the liquid through a sieve over the chicken and garnish the chicken with the oregano sprigs.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.