Chicken Satay-Style with Couscous
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice (2 lemons or 3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups (10-ounce box) couscous
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, preferably chunky
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken tenders, or chicken breasts cut into strips about 1/2-inch wide and 3 inches long
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped roasted peanuts and cilantro, for garnish, optional
In a mixing bowl combine the water, 1/4 cup of the coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of the lemon or lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the couscous and steep for 15 minutes while you proceed to the next step. In another mixing bowl combine the garlic, curry powder and peanut butter and whisk in the remaining coconut milk and lemon or lime juice and another teaspoon of salt.
Marinate the chicken strips in this mixture while the couscous is also steeping. Melt the butter in a wide large skillet, over medium heat. Add the chicken with its marinating liquid and cook, stirring frequently until the chicken turns opaque, about 3 minutes. Cover and simmer, over low heat for 5 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Scatter the couscous over the chicken, and simmer, covered, over low heat for 8 minutes or until the couscous has heated and the chicken is cooked through.
Take care to do this last step over low heat or the chicken will burn. Mix the ingredients together, adjust seasoning and serve immediately. Garnish with peanuts and chopped cilantro if you wish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.