- Bones from 2 chickens, chopped into pieces
- 1 small carrot, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 small onion, peeled, trimmed, and quartered
- 1 small celery stalk, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch slices
- Stems from 1 bunch parsley
- 3 to 4 green leek leaves, sliced (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- Mushroom scraps (optional)
- Tomato scraps (optional)
- 4 quarts water, approximately
In a stockpot, place the chicken bones, then add all of the remaining ingredients, except the water. Add water to cover by 2 inches, bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer uncovered for 2 to 3 hours, skimming as necessary.
Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl and cool. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days, discarding the hardened layer of fat before using or freezing.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.