Chicken with Pineapple Sauce
c.1996, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 30 min
- 45 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (3pound) roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped, juices reserved
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 to 2 cups chicken stock (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
Place the chicken pieces in a heavy bottomed saucepan or casserole. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Top the chicken with the pineapple chunks, pineapple juices, onions, red bell pepper, garlic, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and sherry, and pour evenly over the top of the chicken. Add chicken stock, if needed, to cover the chicken pieces with liquid. (If you use canned pineapple chunks, the pineapple juice can be used instead of the chicken stock).
Cover loosely and simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender and the sauce is reduced, about 45 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
Transfer the chicken, fruit and vegetables to individual plates and sprinkle with the almonds. Serve over rice and pour the sauce over the top.