Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Shiitake Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 4 tablespoons kosher for Passover dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons kosher-for-Passover vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 4 whole chicken breasts, boned
- 1/3 cup kosher-for-Passover vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, diced
- 20 medium shiitake mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 16 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy creamer
To make the marinade, mix the basil, wine, oil and the shallots in a small bowl. Mash the chicken with a wooden pounder and place in marinade. Melt the oil in a frying pan. Add the shallots and the mushrooms, and stir until the mushrooms are soft. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and a tablespoon or so of the potato starch if the sauce has too much liquid. Add salt to taste. Remove from the heat.
Separate half the mushroom mixture to fill the chicken breasts. Place 1/4 of this mixture on one end of each breast and roll like a jelly roll on the diagonal so both ends are filled. Bake in a preheated, 400 degree F. oven for 25 minutes or until done. Cut each breast into 6 slices on the diagonal, allowing 3 slices per portion.
To make the sauce, return the remaining half of the mushroom mixture to a saute pan. Add the chicken broth and stir over a low heat. Continuing to stir, add enough non-dairy creamer to make a sauce. If the sauce has too much liquid add a pinch of potato starch. Place the chicken on the plate, cover with the sauce, and serve.