Chicken with Tatuma Squash (Pollo con Calabacita)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) fryer chicken, cut into 8 to 10 pieces
- 4 tatuma squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes, see Cook's Note*
- 4 tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 whole serrano chiles, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt; add to the pan, and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Pour off the excess fat.
Add the squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chiles, if using. Season with additional salt, the oregano, and pepper. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and enjoy.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Diana Barrios Trevino, San Antonio, TX, Los Barrios Family Cookbook
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen