- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 fresh Thai chile, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 pound baby spinach leaves
- 3 cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed and drained again
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in a medium pan on the grill over high heat. Add onions and cook until lightly golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the spices, ginger and chile and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the onion/spinach mixture and mix until combined. Add the tomatoes, olive oil, parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.