- 1 pound goat cheese, divided into 4 round disks
- 1/4 cascabel chile, toasted in a dry pan, ground in a coffee grinder
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, toasted in a dry pan, ground in a grinder or food processor
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (Japanese panko, if available)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Balsamic Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Hot Candied Walnuts, recipe follows
Crust the cheese with the chile, nuts, and bread crumbs and a little salt. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick pan (large enough to fit all 4 disks comfortably) on medium heat. Place the crusted cheese in the pan. Heat for 45 seconds, turn with a spatula, and heat for another 45 seconds.
On each of 4 plates, place a round of crusted goat cheese. Drizzle with Balsamic Vinaigrette and sprinkle with the Hot Candied Walnuts.
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
Hot Candied Walnuts:
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a large saute pan on medium heat, place all ingredients. Keep the pan moving until the sugar melts and the ingredients are all melted together. (Be very cautious, can burn easily). Pour mixture onto a greased sheet pan. Leave out to cool. When cool, chop into small pieces. Set aside until needed.