Chile Skate Roasted in Banana Leaves
- Canola oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 4 large banana leaves (parchment paper and/or aluminum foil would work)
- 1 eggplant, sliced and grilled
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice, other rices would work
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 6 -ounce skate wings
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chili paste (recipe to follow)
In a hot saute pan, add a little oil and caramelize the onions. Check for seasoning. Fold a banana leaf in half and place a small amount of onions and 1 slice of eggplant on one half then top with a small mound of rice. Top this with basil then seasoned tomato slices followed by another slice of eggplant. Place skate on top. Smooth chili paste on top of skate. Garnish with scallions. Fold up banana leaf and secure with a skewer. Repeat process for the remaining banana leaves. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.