- 12 Poblano chiles, roasted and peeled
- 1 cup ground veal
- 1 cup ground pork (with 30 percent fat content)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cups chopped cactus
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 bunch epazote, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh walnuts, skinned
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- Seeds from two ripe pomegranates
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Make a vertical slit down the side of each chile and carefully remove the seeds, leaving the stem intact.
Mix the veal and pork in a bowl. Add the salt and pepper.
In a large heavy skillet, over a medium heat, cook the oil with the onion until translucent. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking up any clumps, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the almonds, pine nuts, cactus, raisins, and epazote. Cook and stir constantly, until the meat is done.
Remove the meat mixture from the heat and let cool.
Stuff the chiles with the meat mixture and put them on an ovenproof platter, covered with loosely tented foil. Place the platter in a warm oven while finishing the sauce.