Chili Cheese Dog Nachos
- 3 hot dogs with about 40 calories and 1g fat or less each
- 2 cups EZ as 1-2-3 Alarm Turkey Chili (recipe follows) or low-fat turkey or veggie chili
- 1 (7-ounce) bag baked tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 3 slices fat-free American cheese, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, for garnish
- EZ as 1-2-3-Alarm Turkey Chili:
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chili beans ( pinto beans in chili sauce), not drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sliced or chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 bell peppers (different colors), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, sauce reserved
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound raw lean ground turkey
- Special equipment: crock pot
Chop hot dogs into small pieces. Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add chili and hot dog pieces, and cook them until thoroughly heated, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
Top evenly with cheese strips.
PER SERVING (1/7th of recipe, 1 ounce chips with toppings): 218 calories, 3g fat, 674mg sodium, 36g carbs, 4.25g fiber, 4g sugars, 13g proteinEZ as 1-2-3-Alarm Turkey Chili:
Combine all of the ingredients except the turkey and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce from the canned chipotle peppers. Mix to combine and coat all of the beans and veggies with sauce.
Put the turkey in the bottom of the crock pot and break it up into small chunks. Pour the chili mixture on top and mix.
Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir to distribute the turkey. Add salt, to taste. Mmmmm!!! Yield: 12 servings.
PER SERVING (1/12th of recipe, about 1 cup): 176 calories, 3g fat, 765mg sodium, 23g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 6g sugars, 13g protein