Chilled Beef and Vegetable Hors d'oeuvres
- 24 servings
- Bamboo skewers soaked in water
- 2 lbs. beef tenderloin
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbs. mirin (or sweet white wine if it's not available)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 scallions, green tops cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 medium-sized jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
Cut tenderloin into thin, 1/4-inch strips, trimming off all fat. Pound out slices, maintaining the rectangular shape, until they are approximately 1/8" thick. Whisk together soy sauce, sugar, salt and mirin until dissolved. Dip slice of steak in soy mixture then place a piece of scallion, pepper and jicama on top. Roll tightly and skewer through center.
Grill or broil, over or under medium-high heat, basting with sauce, for 3 or 4 minutes. Cut each roll in 2 or 3 pieces and skewer with toothpick. Serve warm or room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse