Chilled Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can coconut milk, light or regular
- 2 limes, juiced
- Salt, as needed
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup cashews, toasted and crumbled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
On a steady work surface, using a mallet or the back of a sturdy knife, bruise the root end of the lemongrass. In a large pot over high heat, add the lemongrass, vegetable stock, and ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the stock and return it to the pot. Add the butternut squash to the stock and simmer until the squash is fully cooked and begins to break down, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and cool. Add the coconut milk, blending the mixture in batches until smooth. Season with lime juice and salt, and chill. To serve, garnish the soup with cilantro, cashews and coconut.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.