Chilled Tarragon Tomato Soup with Vegetable Confetti
- For tarragon tomato soup:
- 3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, (about 8 medium)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups ice water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 8 vine-ripened yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Baguette toasts
- Make soup:
Chop tomatoes and in a food processor puree with vinegar, sugar, and lemon juice until smooth. Pour puree through a sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on solids. Discard solids. Stir in ice water and salt and pepper to taste. Soup may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reseason soup before serving.
Serve soup sprinkles with tomatoes, zucchini, and onion, and with toasts on the side.
recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine