Chinese Chicken Salad
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- Coarse salt and cracked pepper
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas
- 1 1/2 pounds Napa cabbage, thinly sliced, about 1 small head
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cups sprouts
- 6 scallions, sliced thinly
- 5 ounces shredded carrots (1/2 a 10 ounce supermarket bag)
- 1 cup loosely packed, roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon sesame tahini or creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
Place chicken in a shallow pot or non-stick pan with just enough water to keep it from burning. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, turn heat to medium and cook 5 minutes. Add peas to pan, cover and continue cooking 3 to 5 minutes more until chicken is tender and snap peas are blanched but still crunchy. Remove from heat, pour off liquid and let cool.
Place sesame tahini and sesame oil in a large salad bowl, whisk in lime juice and stir until combined. Add soy sauce, ginger, sugar and chili paste. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add chicken, snap peas, cabbage, peppers, sprouts, scallions, carrots and cilantro. Toss until all ingredients are coated with dressing. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.