Chocolate Cheese Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup low-fat chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (from about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- 12 ounces light cream cheese
- 24 ounces non-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line the inside of a springform pan with aluminum foil and smooth out as much as possible. Once lined, spray the inside with cooking spray. In a food processor, combine cookie crumbs, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, oil, and coffee and blend well. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
In a food processor, combine cream cheese, cottage cheese, cornstarch, egg, and egg whites until very smooth. Add cocoa powder, brown sugar, sugar substitute, vanilla, and salt and puree until smooth. Finally, add melted chocolate and puree until smooth. Blend well and then pour into crust-lined pan. Place pan in a shallow baking dish and place in oven. Carefully pour enough water into pan to come up halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan. Bake until edges are firm, about 1 hour. Turn oven off and let cake cool in the oven for 1 hour. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, at least 3 hours.