Chocolate Cherry Cola Cupcakes with Red Licorice Filling and Marshmallow Frosting
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherry cola, warmed in microwave for 1 minute
- Red Licorice Filling, recipe follows
- 2 cups crushed yogurt-covered pretzels
- Marshmallow Frosting, recipe follows
- Cherry Cola Glaze, recipe follows
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
- Red Licorice Filling:
- 5 ounces red licorice (about 10 jumbo pieces) (recommended: Red Vines)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Marshmallow Frosting:
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cherry Cola Glaze:
- 3 to 5 teaspoons cherry cola
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 regular size cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, half-and-half, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the warmed cherry cola until fully combined.
Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until the cupcakes spring back when touched with your finger, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool in the pans for a few minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.Red Licorice Filling:
Tear the licorice into 1 inch pieces and place in a saucepan with the water over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and let cool. Whisk in the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbly. Continue to cook for 1 minute, and then remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature.Marshmallow Frosting:
Place the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan with boiling water. Whisk constantly over the heat for 1 to 3 minutes. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and beat with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks have formed, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract.Cherry Cola Glaze:
Add the cherry cola, 1 teaspoon at a time, to the powdered sugar until it has a good consistency to drizzle on cupcakes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
White Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes, Double Chocolate Malt Shop Cupcakes with Cherry-Vanilla Buttercream, Death by Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate Cheesecake Recipes, Easter Cupcake Recipes, Chocolate Cupcake Recipes, Chocolate Pie Recipes, Chocolate Fudge Recipes, German Chocolate Cake Recipes