Chocolate Cupcakes with a Chocolate, Orange and Clove Infused Ganache Filling and a Chinese Spiced Tea Buttercream
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- 10 ounces all-purpose flour
- 8 fluid ounces buttermilk
- 4 fluid ounces canola oil
- 3 1/2 ounces cocoa powder, such as Valrhona
- 1/2 fluid ounce Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 eggs
- Chocolate, Orange and Clove Infused Ganache Filling, recipe follows
- Chinese Spiced Tea Buttercream, recipe follows
- Chocolate curls, for garnish
- Orange sugar crystals, for garnish
- Chocolate, Orange and Clove Infused Ganache Filling:
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- 4 ounces cocoa powder, such as Valrhona
- 2 ounces cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, such as Valrhona
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 fluid ounces orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil
- Chinese Spiced Tea Buttercream:
- 8 ounces granulated sugar
- 4 ounces egg whites
- 2 pounds unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons loose Chinese mandarin orange tea
- 1 tablespoon loose Chinese mandarin orange tea, ground in a food processor and sifted to remove larger pieces
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 24 regular-size cupcake liners.
Combine the granulated sugar, flour, buttermilk, 8 fluid ounces water, oil, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, salt and eggs in a mixer and whisk on speed 1 until all the ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix on speed 2 until the batter is lump free.
Fill the cupcake liners half full with the chocolate batter and bake for 25 minutes, rotating halfway through the bake time. Cool the cupcakes completely.
To assemble: Place the Chocolate, Orange and Clove Infused Ganache filling into a piping bag and squeeze a small amount of the filling into the centers of the cooled cupcakes. Also pipe a small circle of this ganache around the top edge of the cupcake (so you can see the filling even after it is frosted). Generously pipe the Chinese Spiced Tea Buttercream on top. Garnish with chocolate curls and orange sugar crystals.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.Chocolate, Orange and Clove Infused Ganache Filling:
In a large pot, whisk together the granulated sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and fine salt. Once mixed together, add 10 ounces water and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue whisking for 1 minute. Remove the pot from the heat and add the dark chocolate, butter, orange liqueur, orange oil, ground cloves and orange oil. Allow the mixture to cool.Chinese Spiced Tea Buttercream:
In a medium pot, combine the granulated sugar with enough water to make the mixture resemble wet sand. Place this pot over medium-high heat and cook to 235 degrees F.
While the sugar cooks, begin whipping the egg whites in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment to full volume.
Once the temperature of the sugar reaches 235 degrees F (soft ball stage), pour the sugar into the egg whites. Continue whipping until the mixture cools to just above body temperature, about 4 minutes.
Slowly add in 1 pound butter (about 4 ounce pieces at a time). After each addition, allow the butter to mix in almost completely before adding more. The mixture should separate and come back together.
Once the butter mixture has come back together, remove the whisk attachment and replace with a paddle. Add in the remaining 1 pound butter, confectioners' sugar, steeped tea and ground tea. Paddle this mixture until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chipotle Dark Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate-Peanut Brittle Cupcakes, Chocolate Porter Cupcakes, Porter Ganache, Caramel Corn Crunch, Toasted Meringue, Sponge Cake Recipes, Chocolate Fondue Recipes, Bundt Cake Recipes, Fruit Pizza Recipes, Rum Cake Recipes, Chocolate Frosting Recipes