Chocolate Pudding Trifle
The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, Simon & Schuster
Here's an easy dessert that was the result of an "accident" at the bakery one day. Some small chocolate cakes refused to come out of the[ their pans (someone forgot to grease and flour!). Sad at the thought of throwing out all that delicious cake, Jennifer assembled layers of broken cake, pudding, whipped cream, and chocolate cookie crumbs. The results were fabulous, and many customers come back asking if any more "mistakes" have been made so they can have their terrific trifle!]
- Fills a 6-quart bowl about 3/4
- Chocolate Cake:
- Use your favorite chocolate cake recipe or even a box of your favorite chocolate cake mix. Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes before proceeding. Break up the cake into small pieces in a large bowl.
- Chocolate Pudding Filling:
- 2 packages instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups whole milk
- Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- About 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs, or chocolate-sandwich cookies, crushed into crumbs
Prepare the chocolate cake as recommended above.
To prepare the chocolate pudding filling: In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the instant pudding and the milk for 3 minutes. Place uncovered in the refrigerator and chill until set, about 15 minutes.
To assemble the trifle: Place 1/3 of the cake in the bottom of a large glass bowl. Place over this 1/3 of the pudding mixture, spreading evenly with a rubber spatula. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream over this. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cookie crumbs. Proceed in this fashion until three layers have been assembled, ending with a dusting of the cookie crumbs. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight, before cutting and serving.