Chocolate Silk Pudding
Adapted from a recipe by Richard Sax for Gourmet Magazine
- 6 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, for garnish
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large saucepan milk, butter, chocolate, espresso powder and cinnamon over moderately low heat, whisking, until butter and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk in the bread crumbs and pour in the hot milk in a stream, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture into a buttered 6-cup baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until pudding is set in the middle and a tester comes out clean. Allow the pudding to cool for 15 minutes and serve warm garnished with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.