Chopped Fresh Salmon on a Bun
- 1 pound fresh salmon, picked over for bones (very cold)
- 1/4 cup seeded and minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (low fat is acceptable)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 or more cup soft fresh white breadcrumbs
- Flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Egg rolls, cut in half toasted and lightly buttered
- Sliced tomatoes, arugula
- Mayonnaise (optional)
Cut the salmon into cubes and chop, but not too finely. In a glass bowl combine the salmon, red pepper, green onion, mint and mayonnaise. Bind the mixture with the egg and breadcrumbs then season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the mixture so it is easier to shape into cakes.
When you are ready to eat, season the flour mixture with salt and pepper. Shape the salmon mixture into four cakes. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large nonstick 12 inchskillet. Lightly dredge each salmon cake in flour and cook, adjusting heat as necessary and turning once, anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, depending upon how well cooked you like your fish to be. The less time they cook, the moister they will be. Set each salmon cake on a warm bun garnished with the mayonnaise, arugula and tomatoes. Eat as open an faced sandwich with a knife and fork Serve with steamed zucchini or yellow squash salad.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.