- 5 pounds fresh sauerkraut
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon
- 4 squares of bacon rind, 1 1/2-inches each (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 12 ounce chunk of unsmoked bacon
- 4 each of 4 different sausages ( frankfurter, bratwurst, knockwurst, etc.)
- 1 smoked veal tongue
Immerse the sauerkraut in a large bowl filled with cold water, and soak for 15 minutes.
While sauerkraut is soaking, place the chopped bacon and the optional bacon rind in a heavy, oven proof pot over high heat. Saute for 1 minute. Turn heat to medium-low, add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
Squeeze the sauerkraut dry, reserving 1 cup of the soaking water and add the sauerkraut to the pot. Stir well to blend with bacon. Add the reserved cup of soaking water, the white wine, the juniper berries, the peppercorns and the cloves. Bring to boil on top of stove and boil until the liquid has almost evaporated (about 20-30 minutes).
Imbed the meats in the sauerkraut, cover the pot and cook in the oven until the meats are hot, about 30 minutes. Serve on a large platter.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.