- 1/4 pound slab bacon, chopped
- 4 large bratwurst
- 4 (1-inch) pork chops, bone-in (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 juniper berries
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) can low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Riesling
- Water to almost cover
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot with lid, saute the bacon until browned. Remove the bacon and all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Brown the bratwurst and the pork chops on all sides, then set them aside. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the sauerkraut and saute 5 minutes. Add the potato, caraway seeds, juniper berries and the brown sugar and stir to combine. Place the browned bratwurst and pork chops on top of the sauerkraut mixture. Add the chicken stock, Riesling and water. Place lid on top and bake for 45 minutes.