Christina's Chicken-Fried Steak
- 4 (6-ounce) round cube steaks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 butter crackers, crushed (recommended: Ritz)
- Vegetable shortening, for frying
- Serving suggestion: Your favorite steak sauce and Christinas Steak Fries with Cheese Sauce
Pound the steaks with a meat tenderizing mallet until they are very thin. Set aside.
In a shallow bowl, whisk the buttermilk and eggs. In a shallow dish, mix the flour, thyme, cayenne, and salt. Spread the crushed crackers on a large plate.
Heat enough shortening in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat to make a depth of 1/4-inch. Dredge the steaks in the flour mixture, shake off the excess, then dip in the buttermilk-egg mixture. Coat with crackers and then place in the skillet.
Fry the steaks until the crust is nicely browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira