Christina's Pecan-Crusted Potato Chip Snapper with Honey-Mustard Mayo
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 (6-ounce) red snapper fillets
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
To make the snapper: Toss the potato chips with 1 cup of the pecans, cilantro, and crushed red pepper and spread on a large plate. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and flour. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Dip each fillet in the batter, then dredge in the pecan-chip mixture and place in the pan. Saute until crust is browned and fish is just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, to make the sauce: Whisk the mayonnaise and mustard together in a small bowl. Stir in the red pepper, shallots and basil.
Place 1 snapper fillet on each plate and spoon sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and serve immediately.
Copyright 2002, Janette Barber and Christina Deyo, all rights reserved