Chunky Ginger-Mango Barbecue Sauce with Mixed Grill
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 mangos, peeled and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Hot sauce, a tablespoon or so
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 4 loin lamb chops
- 1 cup chopped arugula or frisee or mixed baby greens
- Handful basil or tarragon leaves, shredded or torn
Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a sauce pot or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers and saute to soften 3 to 4 minutes, then add mango and season with salt and pepper. Stir in soy sauce, Worcestershire, ginger, a little zest of citrus fruits, honey, stock and hot sauce. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes, add the orange and lime juice and cook for 2 minutes more, to thicken. Remove the ginger chunk.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat the meats with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken breasts 12 minutes turning once and the lamb a couple of minutes on each side for pink centers. Plate the meats on a serving platter, top with sauce and garnish with spicy-sweet greens and herbs.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.