- Clarified butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 pounds honeycomb tripe, par-boiled, cut into bite size portions
- 1 pound tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and cubed
- 1 3/4 cups dry red wine
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound smoked beef, roughly sliced
- 1/2 pound Polish sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 2 teaspoons rosemary)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Freshly ground salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat a little clarified butter in a large pan. Add onion, sprinkling sugar over them to help them brown. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes. Stir the onions and garlic and place tripe pieces on top. Add tomatoes and 3/4 cup red wine and bring to a boil. Then add mushrooms and smoked beef, sausage, herbs and nutmeg. Season generously with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, add remaining red wine and cook another 2 hours, until tripe is tender. Pour into warmed soup tureen and serve immediately.