Citrus Cucumber Relish
- 7 pickling cucumbers, ends trimmed first to remove bitter juices, then peeled
- 1 small red onion
- 6 Italian Roma tomatoes, cored
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 - 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded if desired, and finely diced
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Cut cucumbers lengthwise into thin slices, then into fine julienne. Halve the onion lengthwise, then slice into fine julienne. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and julienne. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, combine well and let stand, covered, 30 minutes or longer. The juice will be salty and spicy, like fresh pickle juice, when ready. Store in the refrigerator up to 48 hours.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.