Citrus, Fennel, and Pepper Salad Topped with Goat Cheese
Recipe courtesy Nathalie Dupree, co-author of Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking
Perhaps it was the presence of an orange in the toe of my Christmas stocking each year that makes me crave the freshness of citrus in the[ winter. It is easy to find jars of roasted peppers, and the two combine to make a cheerful colorful combination as welcome in the winter months as in the summer. Another name for shaved fennel is fennel slaw.]
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 white grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, torn into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Grated rind of 1 lime, no white attached
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1 to 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, optional
Toss the grapefruit and orange segments, fennel, pepper strips, and onion together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, lime rind, and garlic in a small bowl. Toss the dressing with the fruit mixture. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar. Sprinkle the salad with cheese, green onion, and herbs. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve cold.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.