Citrus Marinated Asparagus Salad with Tuna Tartare on Pappadoums
- 8 to 12 ounces corn oil for frying
- 1 package pappadoums (can buy at Indian specialty store), cut into wedges
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 bunch chives, sliced thin
- 2 ounces mint, fine chiffonade
- 6 to 8 ounces fresh tuna, number 1 or sushi grade if possible
- 1 -ounce truffle oil
- 1/8 cup chopped scallions
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus
- Cracked white or black pepper
- Tobiko or flying fish roe for garnish, if desired
In a medium sauce pan heat oil to approximately 350 degrees F or until 1 to 2 drops of water react. Add pappadoums and cook until golden. Remove, place on a towel to dry.
Chop or mince tuna with a spoon and place in small bowl. Add truffle oil, scallions and a touch of chili oil and season to taste. In salted, boiling water, cook asparagus for 15 seconds, then remove and shock in cold, salted water. Remove when cool.
Plate asparagus and drizzle with vinaigrette. Arrange pappadoums at bottom of plate and top with tartare. Garnish with fresh cracked white pepper or black. If you want use tobiko or flying fish roe for color and garnish.
Recipes courtesy of Deb Stanton