- 15 anchovies
- 3 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pureed garlic
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 loaf sourdough or hearty French or Italian bread, with crust, diced for croutons
- 7 to 8 medium heads Romaine lettuce
Combine the anchovies, black pepper, and olive oil in a blender. Puree about 5 minutes until very smooth. Add the grated parmesan and blend briefly to combine. Measure and reserve 1 cup for use with croutons.
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Place the refrigerated eggs, one at a time, on a slotted spoon and into the boiling water. Cook 1 1/2 minutes, remove and reserve.
Place the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, celery salt, Tabasco, Worcestershire and eggs in a large bowl, and whisk in the anchovy mixture. Whisk until well combined. The dressing may be refrigerated at this stage.
In a large bowl, combine the reserved anchovy mixture with the diced bread and toss to coat.
Heat a large dry cast-iron skillet over medium high and cook the croutons, stirring constantly, until golden and crisp.Wash and dry the lettuce and break into bitesized pieces. Place in a large salad bowl along with the dressing and toss well. Add the toasted croutons, toss again, and serve.