Celery with Creamy White Beans
- 1/4 cup basil flavored olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and liquid reserved
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 to 8 celery stalks cut lengthwise into thin strips, about 1/4-inch by 6-inches long
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until very soft, but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and 1/4 cup reserved liquid from the can and season well with salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high and continue cooking until beans begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly and transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree, drizzling in more reserved liquid, if needed, until it is the consistency of thick hummus. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Transfer to a wide, tall glass and drizzle with additional basil oil before serving.
To serve, stand the celery stalks upright in the dip. (Choose a container that's small enough with high sides to allow the celery to stand upright).