Roasted Tomato-Bread Soup
- 1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 3 tablespoons garlic-infused extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely sliced fresh basil leaves, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (recommended: San Marzano)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 loaf sourdough baguette (day-old) or 1/4 loaf country bread, torn into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Put the tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, toss with 2 tablespoons of the garlic oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast until the tomatoes are softened and the edges are beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the garlic oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the basil and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the canned tomatoes with their juice and the water; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the bread and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir the oven-roasted tomatoes and any cooking juices into the saucepan and simmer for another 3 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adjusting if necessary, and ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of garlic olive oil and basil leaves.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Main Challenge: Roasted Tomato and Red Chili Soup, Charlotte's Pan-Roasted Latin Style Garlic Soup, Garlic Soup with Sauteed Sweet Shrimp, Vegetable Soup Recipes, Lobster Bisque Recipes, Shrimp Cocktail Recipes, Chicken Wing Recipes, Tomato Soup Recipes, Easy Appetizer Recipes