Turkey Fennel Sausage Patties
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Cook the shallot, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, fennel and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well. Using moist hands, form the turkey into 2-inch patties, making 12 total.
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Working in 2 batches, cook 6 patties until golden brown, turning once, 6 to 8 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining patties. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Claire Robinson, 2011