Clams with Pancetta and Scallions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta or bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 4 to 5 dozen cherrystone clams, rinsed and picked over to remove those with broken shells or those that are opened
- 1 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup rice, regular or instant, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Garlic Toast, recipe follows
- Garlic Toast:
- 1 baguette
- Olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and cut in 1/2
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook 3 minutes, until golden brown. Add scallions, clams and the vermouth (if using) and simmer 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until shells open. Discard any shells that do not open.
With a slotted spoon, remove clams from pan and set aside. Simmer 2 minutes until sauce thickens. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Serve 1/2 of the clams (24 to 36) over rice and cover with thickened sauce. Top with parsley and serve with the Garlic Toast. Reserve the remaining clams (about 2 dozen) for fettuccine, if desired.Garlic Toast:
Cut the baguette into 1-inch thick slices. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and drizzle some olive oil over them. Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden and crispy. While still warm, rub the garlic clove on the toasts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.