- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork butt or sweet sausage meat
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Soak the bread crumbs in milk. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
Heat the olive oil. When hot add the onions and saute for about 8 minutes or until golden and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the contents to a mixing bowl.
Add the soaked bread crumbs, ground chuck and ground pork butt and mix with 1 egg. Add grated cheese, fennel, oregano, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Saute some of the mixture before tasting and adjusting for seasoning.)
Transfer the mix to a loaf pan and bake at high heat for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let rest 15 minutes before cutting.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.