- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced green chile, serrano, Thai or jalapeno
- 1/4 plain low fat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried red peppers
- 8 curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
In a food processor or blender grind coconut, onion, ginger, green chile, yogurt, lemon juice, and salt with as little water as needed for a moderately thick (not watery) consistency. Set aside.
In a covered medium frying pan, heat the mustard seeds, dried red peppers, and curry leaves in oil over medium high heat until the seeds begin to pop. Uncover, add ground coconut mixture, and stir for 10 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl.
Serve at room temperature as dip for snacks.
Recipe courtesy Maya Kaimal MacMillan, Curried Favors (c) 1996 Maya Kaimal MacMillan and Abbeville Press, Courtesy Abbeville Press, New York
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay