Coconut Coriander Soup with Vermicelli and Turkey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Quarter-size slice fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, preferably low-salt
- 1/4 pound vermicelli, capellini or very fine egg noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
- 2 limes
- 2 scallions ( green onions)
- 1/2 cup (packed) washed fresh coriander leaves
- 7 to 8 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried pepper flakes
Heat the vegetable oil. Add the ground chicken and begin to saute, mashing the chicken with the side of a wooden spoon, continuously moving it and mashing it so that it crumbles. After 3 minutes, add the garlic and ginger and cook for about a minute or until the moisture has evaporated and the chicken begins to dry out. Add the water and chicken broth and bring the liquid to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the vermicelli. Cover the pan and cook until the pasta is tender, about 5 minutes. While this is cooking, juice the limes, slice the scallions into 1/4-inch rounds, and roughly chop the coriander. When the vermicelli is tender, remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the lime juice and coconut milk, and season to taste with salt and dried pepper flakes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.