Coconut Crusted Voodoo Shrimp
- 8 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1 eggroll wrapper, cut into 1 1/2-inch wide strips
- 3 ounces lump crabmeat
- 3 ounces Japanese seaweed salad
- 3 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces Japanese (panko) bread crumbs
- 3 ounces shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Wooden skewers
- Sweet and sour sauce, for dipping
- Mango chutney, for dipping
In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil to 325 degrees F.
Lay the eggroll wrapper strips on a cutting board. Top with 1-ounce each of crabmeat and seaweed salad. Place each shrimp on a wooden skewer and lay on the filled wrapper. Wrap the shrimp tightly in the egg roll skin, sealing the end with egg wash. Dredge each wrapped shrimp in flour, then in the egg wash again and finally in the mixture of shredded coconut, sesame seeds and bread crumbs. Deep-fry each skewer until they are golden brown and the shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and mango chutney for dipping.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Barton G.
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller