Coconut Peanut Sauce
- 1 stalk (about 2 feet long) fresh lemon grass, optional
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- Quarter size slice of fresh ginger
- 1 inch by 1/4 inch piece fresh lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (14-ounce can) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
Remove the woody outer leaves of the lemon grass stalk. Finely slice, crosswise, the tender inner stalk and transfer to a blender. Add the peanuts, garlic, ginger, lime rind, lime juice, anchovy paste, sugar and red pepper flakes.
Add coconut milk and puree into a fine puree. Transfer this mixture to a food processor and puree with basil and cilantro. Season to taste with salt. Pack in half or cup portions and freeze.