Coconut Tuna Tartare with Avocado Mousse
- 1 pound sushi grade tuna, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 5 tablespoons grated coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons toasted almond slivers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium stainless mixing bowl combine the diced tuna, coconut, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, rice wine vinegar, almonds, currants, vegetable oil, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Toss well and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Peel and halve the avocados and remove the pits. Give them a rough chop and place them in a small stainless mixing bowl. Add the remaining lime juice, cayenne, cumin, paprika, and olive oil. Mash the seasoned avocado with a sturdy whisk until creamy in texture and season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Divide the avocado mixture equally into the bottom of 8 martini glasses. Separate the tuna into eight equal portions and spoon on top of the avocado.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef John Doherty of The Waldorf Astoria
Recipe courtesy of Brad Sorenson