- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and small dice
- 1 pound fresh codfish fillet, 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs, tied together
- 1 pint milk
- Olive oil
- Cheryl?s Hot Sauce, recipe follows
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Plantain chips, recipe follows
In saucepan, layer the potatoes on the bottom. Then codfish, garlic then thyme. Season with salt then put enough milk in just to cover fish. Bring to a slow simmer covered with parchment paper. Simmer until fish is flaky and potatoes are tender. Remove the thyme bundle, drain the milk and process until smooth, in the bowl of food processor, using enough olive oil to smooth consistency. Season with salt and hot sauce, to taste, and stir in scallions. Serve with plantain chips.
Cheryl?s Hot Sauce:
- 10 whole Scotch bonnet peppers, rinsed and stems removed
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 10 whole pimento seeds
To a blender, add peppers and 1 cup of vinegar and puree. Add rest of vinegar if needed. Stir in pimento seeds. Store in a bottle or jar in refrigerator.
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 green plantains, thinly sliced
- Canola or corn oil, for frying
Heat oil to 350 degrees and fry chips in batches until crispy. Drain and sprinkle with salt.