- 3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/4 cups hot milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 (1-pound) piece ham or bacon, cooked the day before
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes. Peel them using a knife and fork. Chop with a knife before mashing. Mash thoroughly to remove all the lumps. Add 1 stick of butter in pieces. Gradually add hot milk, stirring all the time. Season with a few grinds of black pepper.
Boil the cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color. Add 2 tablespoons butter to tenderize it. Cover with lid for 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly before returning it to the pan. Chop into small pieces.
Add cabbage, scallions, and ham to mashed potatoes, stirring them in gently.
Recipe courtesy of Christabel Rossiter