Cold Curried Carrot and Coconut Milk Soup
- 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion (about 1 bunch)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced thinly (about 4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus additional
- Ice water, for thinning soup
- Garnish: trimmed scallions
In a large heavy saucepan, cook chopped scallion, onion, and gingerroot in butter with curry powder and salt and pepper, to taste, over moderately low heat until softened and add carrots and broth. Simmer mixture, covered, 20 minutes, or until carrots are very soft.
In a blender puree mixture in batches with coconut milk until very smooth, transferring as pureed to a bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice and chill soup at least 6 hours or overnight.
Thin soup with ice water and season with additional lime juice, salt, and pepper.