- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bunches sorrel, stems trimmed and washed
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups water
- Dash of Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Melt butter over moderate heat in a medium stockpot or Dutch oven. Cook onion with salt and pepper until soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in sorrel and cook over moderate heat, uncovered, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally so the sorrel is evenly cooked.
Add half and half, water, and Tabasco pepper sauce. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Puree in a blender until smooth and strain through a medium sieve. Stir in lemon juice, adjust with salt and pepper, and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours, or, to serve immediately, chill in bowl rested in another bowl of iced water. Serve cold.